Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Weekend Getaway...

Tomorrow morning I will get up and leave around 4am for a very long, cold and rainy three days away from my baby boy. This is actually the longest I will have been separated from John since he was born. I am very grateful for having been near and with my son the last 20 months, as I realize this is not plausible for many women because of work and I was fortunate to sidestep many training exercises abroad while still on active duty. Nonetheless, I am still on edge about leaving and decided to blog about it this week.

This 36 hour drill will also likely be the end of my nursing endeavor. We've made it this far and even though I had wanted to breastfeed for two years, part of me is ready to close this chapter. I have been able to reduce John's nursing sessions from three a day just once at night before bed over the course this last month. This is quite a feat for us, because just two or three months ago John has STILL been waking once or twice throughout the night for comfort milk.  And even now that I won't give him mommy's milk when he signs for it or says 'ne-ne' the little guy makes a valiant effort trying to help himself by digging down my shirt. It's so special that even if he can't nurse he takes comfort in being near the breast.

FAST FORWARD...

Sorry I didn't get around to publishing this until today. Last week got too busy and I wasn't able to finish up before taking off for the weekend. And I'm glad that it worked out that way so you can have closure on the aforementioned big event. As it turns out, the weather got a little crazy, cold and icy so I actually spent three nights and three days away leaving Thursday night as to avoid early morning traffic and colder temperatures. So anyway, the time away served us both well giving John time to bond with his cousin Kolbey, Grandpa and Grandma Sanders and his daddy. I was able to enjoy a little bit of rest in the evenings, caught up on some reading and really just disconnected from my regular routine. These are great strides for our little family since John is a bit of a 'momma's boy' spending the majority of his time with me at home.

My training at the unit also turned out to be quite adventurous and not as arduous as I had been dreading. Well I guess it wasn't so much the training itself I was fretting but the cold weather and John withdraws. Despite the bone chilling temperatures we adapted the schedule to accommodate the soldiers quite nicely; the PT test was cancelled, our entire company of about 40 all successfully zeroed and qualified, and we were even cut loose early on Sunday so folks could make it home before dark and snow set in. I also came to the realization that my unit is pretty bad a**. The PSYOP community as a whole is very educated, insightful and down right entertaining. There are some characters in my company that can make a long, cold day at the range bearable with their quick whit, improvisation and good attitude. This was a fresh breath of air for me since there had been dubiousness and deliberation over the whole idea of staying in the Army Reserves. The whole purpose of leaving active duty was to have more time with my baby boy and now I found myself continually going over the pros and cons of sticking with reserves trying to balance the time commitment required to be a weekend warrior.

Coincidentally, that which I feared has made me stronger.  After enduring the weekend and overcoming my trepidation I shall remain a mommy soldier and do it valiantly so.  Most of  my fellow soldiers share this same sense of pride and honor that comes with wearing our uniform and serving this great country.  Being a leader brings me and even greater feeling of belonging. It is so inspiring to motivate other courageous men and women of distinction. And that my friends, is something I am very grateful for as we enter the Thanksgiving holiday and celebration. I am thankful for my family that supports my in all endeavors, my Army sisters and brothers that trust me to lead and succeed and finally for the ability to overcome my fears.

"Always do what you are afraid to do."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Follow me on Twitter @kryistalpatrick

No comments:

Post a Comment