Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Ouchie

For as long as I can remember running has always been apart of my weekly routine. Back in high school I played basketball, softball and ran track so as you can imagine I did plenty of running during those four years. Then in college I had to keep up with all the male cadets during our monthly PT test for ROTC so regular running was a priority. Even after college, I was on active duty in the Army so maintaining my cardiovascular endurance for the 2 mile run portion of my PT test was again a priority.

Then I left the Army and started working as a personal trainer. Running was a workout a still enjoyed, but there was no event to prepare for and no one to chase around the PT track. So I started entering local races and even created a running group at Gold's Gym. This fueled my fire for competition and held me accountable to regular running for about a year.  Then life happened, priorities changed and I had less time to enjoy running. In March I competed in my last race, the Post Oak Trail Half-Marathon and since that event have been lucky to log 5-10 miles a week usually only getting one or two runs.

I say all of that to tell you.... Since I registered for the Route 66 Marathon in November, I have resumed a diligent and disciplined running regiment. And boy, does it hurt! I have never been so sore (well maybe after completing my first marathon back in December of 2012) after a run. Last Sunday I completed 6 miles and have paid for it in aches and pains. Foam rolling, lacrosse balls, warm bath... nothing has soothed the sore muscles. I haven't tried any Bengay, but tonight it's going down!

I digress. This purpose of this blog is not to whine about my running ailments, but instead to encourage others that may be going through a similar scenario as they make a re-entry or their very first entry into the running scene. This stuff is hard, it's very hard on your body and should not be done haphazardly or without a professional's opinion as to whether you can perform the exercise without damage to or loss of health. But for those of you who are in the clear and have a green light to train, don't give up! Take a few days off to rest if you really need a break, and then get back on the grind. The hardest part is getting started, but soon the miles will get easier and the runs more enjoyable. We're in this together! Here we come Route 66 :-)

Hebrews 12:11 (ESV) For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment